From the fullness of his GRACE we have received one blessing after another. John 1:16

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Eliza-Grace's Nursery


Scott and I have a small room right next to our bedroom which I guess is technically a bedroom but we previously used it as an office knowing one day it would be a perfect place for a nursery. I spent so much time debating and going back and forth on her nursery but in the end I absolutely love how it turned out with the exception of one thing. I am not in love with the color on the walls but oh well, you win some you lose some. I was trying to match a color in the bedding and it didn't turn out like I expected. I tried to do the nursery on a budget, but there were a few splurges. Luckily for us, Eliza-Grace's grandparents helped us get most of our "splurge items." A lot of people have asked about different things so I will try to answer all the questions but if I miss something please leave me a comment and I'll get back with you!



Her crib is the Bonavita Hudson crib in a very dark finish. I picked this because you can't really tell if it is black or brown and hopefully will be used for all our kiddos. Scott's parents were very generous and sweet to buy the crib for us.


I LOVE her bedding! I saw this fabric in the window of a fabric store in Jonesboro before I found out we were having a girl. I tried and tried to find something already made because custom bedding can get EXPENSIVE but for me nothing compared to these fabrics. I am by no means a soft pink person. I love bright, fun colors, polka dots and paisley so this was just pure heaven for me. Some people have asked what the name of the fabric is, I have no idea. I got it at Fabric Warehouse in Jonesboro and from looking at the side of the fabric the manufacturer is Microfibres Inc. in Belden, MS. My Mom has used a lady to make other bedding so we called her and she didn't make crib bedding but knew a lady in Paragould that did. Well the only place I could find that fabric was in Jonesboro so a 15 minute drive to Paragould wasn't a big deal. She made the skirt, bumpers, crib quilt, curtains and pillow for the crib. She did an awesome job and was very reasonable. Again, all the bedding and curtains were a gift from my generous and sweet parents.


I've only started to appreciate this chair since it has been in the last few weeks Eliza-Grace has discovered the joy of rocking. This chair is a swivel, rocker from the lullaby collection of best chairs. It is awesome! I would defiantly suggest going in and trying them all out and getting feedback on them. My brother's friend, Doug, owns Wilcoxson's Kids Place in Jonesboro and went through all the different styles with me. He hears all the feedback, so he was able to tell me things like the arms are really wide on that one so it's hard to get comfortable with the baby and stuff like that.


I knew I wanted a dresser instead of a traditional changing table so that it could move with Eliza-Grace to her big girl room. I spent a lot of time looking at flea markets, thrift stores and garage sales to find the perfect dresser. It was pretty hard finding one that I felt had plenty of room for the changing pad and was a good height. I finally found this one at a flea market on hwy. 49 in Jonesboro. It was originally a dark cherry and in great condition with a mirror. I think I ended up paying $100 for it after negotiating. I have a sweet friend named Elizabeth Butler that painted it for me.


This bookcase was originally oak and sitting in my parent's garage with 12 packs of coke on it. I asked if I could take it and my poor Dad just added it to his list of things to bring up to Springdale. Elizabeth painted it for me opposite of what she did on the dresser. She then had the idea to repeat the polka-dots in the back of the book case. She found these really thin wood circles in all different sizes at Hob-Lob, spray painted them to match the colors in her bedding and then attached to the back of the book case with glue dots. Thanks Elizabeth!


This light was a fight to get. Scott thinks every single room should have a ceiling fan. He could not believe I wanted to take that ceiling fan down. I'm talking major debate. He finally gave in, but only because we were having a girl. I started looking all over for chandeliers, um they are EXPENSIVE! My painter friend, Elizabeth, told me about the habitat for humanity store in south Fayetteville so I went to check it out and found so many possibilities. I ended up buying this one for $25. It was originally brass. I bought a couple of cans of Krylon watermelon spray paint and a clear spray paint sealer and Scott went to town. This is the same color as the pulls on her dresser. The medallion is from Lowe's and we just sprayed painted it to match.


I couldn't decide what I wanted over her bed. I had ideas of having someone paint a paisley print on the wall behind her crib, but that would have been very permanent and expensive. I think it was my friend Tricia that sent me an email with a link to a blog with a picture of a girl's nursery with a painting similar to this one over the crib. I looked at the blog and she wasn't taking any more orders...bummer. I had showed it to my friend, Cate, at work and told her the situation and she had a friend that painted it for us. Scott and I both love this verse and also used it on her birth announcements.

I got this modified shadowbox idea from another blog. The dress and shoes are supposedly what I wore home from the hospital. I say supposedly because my Mom can't really remember. I came in about 10 minutes and my Dad totally miss me being born because they told him to go get some coffee and they would be sending Mom home. So, between that and being the 2nd child no one really remembers much about my birth. Oh well, I'm fine, no therapy needed. Anyways back to the frame, it was free. I found it upstairs in my Aunt Zola's house under a couch a few years ago. It was previously black with cork board above the desk. I just used some more watermelon spray paint to make it pink. Bought a piece of foam board and burlap from Hob-Lob for maybe $5 total and staple gunned it in place.


Name above her closet - FREE! I used shower decorations that my best friend Jenessa let me have. Jenessa had painted them the color of her walls for the shower, so I just used some craft paint I had to paint them bright colors.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the shadow box idea! Her room is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think her room is absolutely adorable! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete